The StarSkate legacy
STARSkate has been the mainstay of figure skating in Canada for more than four decades.
When you/your child registers for a STARSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada and will have access to:
- Opportunities to be recognized through a nationally standardized testing system for achieving specific figure skating skills
- Complimentary Gold Test pins
- Invitational and interclub competitions, including the STARSkate championship stream
- Specifically designed awards and incentives such as badges, tattoos and stickers
- STARSkate Skater of the Year awards program
- Progress updates and report cards
- Special STARSkate events and club functions
- Opportunity to be talent-scouted
- Opportunity for personal growth and the development of important life skills such as goal-setting, self-discipline, confidence, time management, healthy lifestyle and coping strategies to deal with success and failure.
What Options do I have as a StarSkate Athlete?
Once a skater is in the Skate Canada STARSkate Program, there are several options. Skaters may choose to remain in the STARSkate Program, taking tests (although not mandatory) at organized test sessions and honing learned skills. Skaters may also choose to enter competitions, while still trying Skate Canada tests. Other skaters may feel that they have progressed to a point where they may wish to enter the Skate Canada CompetitiveSkate Program or become involved in synchronized skating, evaluating or judging, or participate as an adult or varsity member.
At the Glengarry Skating Club we offer the following figure skating programs
The STAR 1-10 and GOLD Programs: These programs incorporate private lessons, group lessons, off ice sessions and independent practice. Figure skaters can choose to test for Dance elements in STAR 1-5, Sr. Bronze, Jr. Silver, Sr. Silver, Gold and Diamond levels. Some skaters choose to enter the competitive stream, testing in Skills, Freeskate, Competitive Singles, Pairs, and/or Dance, and Interpretive.
We offer skating programs year round.
Fall/Winter program: September-March
Spring Program: April-June
Summer Program: July-August
Skills, Tests, Achievement, Recognition – this is what STARSkate is all about!
STARSkate offers opportunities for skaters of all ages to develop fundamental figure skating skills in the areas of ice dance, skating skills, free skate and interpretive skating. Unique in Canada, this program teaches figure skating skills in a group and/or private lesson format in a progressive and sequential manner and includes specifically designed awards and incentives. Skaters have the opportunity to take Skate Canada Tests through a nationally standardized testing system. Skaters who have mastered figure skating skills in STARSkate may also choose to pursue synchronized skating or pairs skating.